The Coin of Love Series: Women discover the magic they need to find the love they deserve.
Irene Carson has always been what everyone else needed her to be. She abided by her husband’s edicts, raised her daughter through the Depression and War, and took care of whatever needed doing for the church. Now that her daughter has inherited her father’s role in his ministry, Irene realizes that Sissy wants her to go on being exactly the same, as befits a widow and matron.
Certain that her life is at a turning point but having no means to change the road she’s on, Irene is stunned by the gift of a beautiful touring car. Over Sissy’s strenuous objections and equipped with maps, sunglasses, and a full tank of gas, she sets out on a road trip all by herself for the first time in her life.
Irene has no goal in mind but to see something new. She gets her wish — and a great deal more.
Join Karin Kallmaker for a journey to California in 1952, where a woman yearns to escape from her conventional, constrained life, and a magical coin is determined to help.
Books in this series can be read in any order.
- Love Story is Between Irene and Herself – Jude in the Stars“Irene is a very strong character, once she realizes she can be.” – Jude in the Stars
- The Subtle Liberation of Irene C – Wind in Her HairI loved the big nod to the early pioneers of lesbian fiction Ann Bannon and Marijane Meaker who were beacons to those searching for more.
- Velvet in Venice – ” Beautiful story in a wonderful place”Velvet in Venice had a beautiful ending, just what we need these days.
- I Heart SapphFic Book of the Month! – Wind in Her HairWind in Her Hair voted I Heart SapphFic Historical Romance of the Month!
- Velvet in Venice – “Gorgeous Read”A very well written and gorgeous little read with a bit of magical realism thrown in.
- Knight of Nights at Lou Morgan’s ReviewsThe way Kirstine and Skyra build a life together without any blueprint or social safety net is nothing short of inspirational.
- A Spirited Librarian and a Wounded Warrior – Checked Out ReviewChristmas cheer, community, healing and attraction, even love.
- Search Your Jar of Change!This quick smooth read will leave plenty of time to search your jar of change to find your own ancient coin of love.
- The Beginnings of Lesbian Pulp Fiction in Wind in Her HairIt’s worth reading the notes at the end of the book to learn a little more about Kallmaker’s inspiration and a rumination on the beginning ...
- Wonderful Sense of Humour – Wind in Her HairI love the interactions between Irene and the coin which for an ‘inanimate’ object has a wonderful sense of humour.
- Authentic Period Detail in Wind in Her HairIf you are looking for a strong, independent heroine, you will discover her…
- Librarian Bona Fide Review – Checked OutBesides all the correct librarian content… I had to stop reading more than once to get more snacks.
- Goodreads Reviews for Knight of NightsThis story is unique, full of magic and adventure, love and nature and spirituality.
- Knight of Nights Voted Historical Romance of the Month!I Heart SapphFic readers have voted Knight of Night the Historical Romance of the Month!
- A Love Letter to Librarians – Review of Checked OutRecommend with 5 stars and look forward to the next book in the series.
- So Much Joy and Happiness – Reader Review of Checked OutKarin has a great writing style. The humor in this book is wonderful.
- Could Make Me Believe a Sheet of Plywood was a Beautiful, Emotional Creature…She has a gift for imagery and metaphor that adds sumptuous layers…
- Wind in Her Hair – You Can’t Stop Till the End!Such a lovely story… You can’t stop till the end!
- Velvet in Venice at the Lesbian Review – “Perfect Romance”A tiny touch of magic makes everything better, even an already perfect romance.
- Reader Comments about Velvet in VeniceA lovely sweet story of two young women following their dreams.
- Knight of Nights – Rachel Lacey at The Lesbian ReviewThe ending is wonderful and filled my heart with hope and love.
- A Great Idea for a SeriesIt is definitely a romance and if you haven’t read Ms Kallmaker’s Coin of Love series you are missing out.
- Velvet in Venice – “Highly Recommended for Drama-Free, Sweet, Adult Love Story”Nikki sings her way into Artie’s heart and music plays a key element to their interactions.
- Wind in Her Hair Has You Rooting for LoveThe writer has crafted the characters well, and you can’t help but empathise with Irene.
- Steely Resolve Faces Down Intimidation – Checked Out ReviewRecommend with 5 stars and look forward to the next book in the series.
- She Can’t Write the Coin of Love Books Quickly Enough for Me!Checked Out is a sweet heartwarming story that just begs to be read in the run up to the festive season.
- Spreading Her Wings in the Sun – Wind in Her Hair ReviewA 5 star read that I highly recommend. – Gail at Kindle Canada
- Wind in Her Hair is Unexpected and InspiringThis was such an unexpected and inspiring book.