Substitute for Love (2004 cover) – Paperback
Substitute for Love by Karin Kallmaker
If you want to personalize what Karin writes in the book, do not use Apple or Google Pay as they will skip the step where you can add a note to your order. USPS Media Mail is free.
Out of Stock - See below for alternatives
Like most women in dead-end relationships, Holly Markham was used to finding substitutes for love. Like chocolate. Fun times with good friends. Throwing herself into her work as a mathematician. But throwing herself into the arms of a leather-clad stranger was never on her list. Even when she does exactly that, she’s stunned when the other woman tells her there can be no repeats, no contact, never again.
Reyna Putnam has lived by the rules of her politically ambitious father for years. Increasingly anguished by the work she does at his behest, trysts with women like Holly are all that keep her sane. She tries to banish the memory of Holly as she has so many other women because nothing has changed. She’s trapped in a cage not of her own making.
Holly has no intention of living in the shadows, and sets out to uncover the secrets of her own past hoping they will lead her back to the mysterious Reyna and some kind of future.
What People are Saying:
- Substitute for Love at Bay Area ReporterSubstitute for Love may just be the best Kallmaker I’ve read in a long time, and given her extraordinary talent, that’s saying something.
- Substitute for Love – Lammy FinalistSubstitute for Love Finalist for a 2001 Lambda Literary Award for LGBT Romance. This was the first year that a category for Romance was included by ...
- Substitute for Love at Book MarksThe lesbian hybrid of Joyce Carol Oates and Danielle Steele.
- Reader Comments about Substitute for LoveA terrific novel to add to your book shelf.
- Recensione da La siepe di moreInfatti, più che alla storia d’amore tra le due protagoniste, si dà grande spazio alla loro storia personale, a ciò che le porterà a incontrarsi ...
- Substitute for Love at Womyn’s WordsOne of Karin Kallmaker’s best and most engrossing books yet!
- Substitute for Love at the Lesbian ReviewNot only will this book make it onto my Best Karin Kallmaker List but it has also made my Top 10 Lesbian Romances list.
- words: 86000
- All About Substitute for LoveFans of this book won't want to miss the follow-up short story "Reconciliation" in Frosting on the Cake 2: Second Helpings.
Inspired by Dick Cheney.
You read that right. In 1999, watching Dick Cheney mealy-mouth his way around whether gays should have equal civil rights, when everyone knew his daughter was lesbian, made me think, "What would it feel like to be the lesbian daughter of that kind of politically avaricious man and know that he will never lift a finger to help you get equal rights?" And so this story was born.