Dawning, The – Paperback
The Dawning by Karin Kallmaker
All paperbacks are signed. If you want Karin to write something personal in the book, do not use Apple or Google Pay - they will skip the step where you can add a note to your order. USPS Media Mail is free.
Would you give up the future to save the past?
Thirteen years have passed since the fiery explosion that killed seven people and shattered the lives of thousands more, but Amanda Martin is unable to forgive herself for her part in the tragedy. Deep in the hills of Arizona, she watches an approaching storm, hoping against hope that the torrential rains and violent floods will wash away some of her pain. In a flash of lightning, she sees something that wasn't there just seconds before - a lone woman struggling in the churning waters hundreds of feet below.
After a difficult rescue that almost claims both their lives, Amanda brings the mud soaked stranger to the safety of her cabin. But this is no stranger. For when the mud is washed off, Amanda instantly recognizes the disheveled woman - as one of the seven who died in that horrible accident!
What People are Saying:
- Reader Comments about The DawningBeing a descendant of First Generation Americans, I am impressed by this attention to detail.
- The Dawning at Midwest Review of BooksThe Dawning is one of those superb novels that are so easy to pick up – and so difficult to put down!
- words : 47000
- Excerpt - A Perilous Rescue
Much of this book is set in Canyon de Chelley National Monument on the Navajo Reservation. It is one of the most spiritual places I have ever visited, one of the oldest and one of the most alive. If you're thinking of visiting the Southwestern US, include it on your itinerary.
I dedicated this book to those who sacrificed everything so we could see the stars. If you're like me, you remember where you were and what you were doing when the Challenger's O-ring failed.
The theme of this book, accepting random tragedy, was much in my mind after the events of 9-11. The story also uses themes and characters from Night Vision.
Locations featured in this novel and other resources:
- Canyon de Chelley National Monument. "Chelley" is pronounced "shay" rhyming with "play."
- Map of Canyon de Chelley by U.S. Geologic Society.
- Stunning photos and more of Canyon de Chelley from the U.S. Geologic Society.
- Shuttle Challenger Memorial at Arlington National Cemetery along with news coverage and national reaction to the tragedy.
- The Ellison Onizuka Space Center, Kailua-Kona, Hawaii.
- The Christa McAuliffe Planetarium, Concord, New Hampshire.